How to Keep a Secret
Keeping a secret can be difficult, and when it is a juicy secret it might be near impossible. It takes a great deal of willpower and determination, not to want to tell someone what you just heard. If you feel that you do not have the willpower necessary, then do not put yourself in the position of even hearing a secret. If you don’t keep a secret it can hurt you in the long run. If it is a secret that you have created yourself and don’t want anybody to know then don’t ever even bring it up. Chances are you’ll end up “Spilling the beans”
1. Keep your motivator in mind.
There are lots of reasons to keep something a secret. Maybe it would be embarrassing, for you or someone else. Maybe you’ll ruin a surprise. Maybe you promised to someone that you wouldn’t. Just keep this in mind when you’re tempted to let the cat out of the bag. People look up to and trust you when you keep secrets, since it’s a very difficult thing to do.
2. Ask how long you need to keep this secret.
Is it something simple, like a present or a surprise party, or something you intend to take to the grave? This will give you more of a perspective of the secret you are keeping as well as help you analyze the lengths you are willing to go to to keep it.
3. Force yourself to just not tell!
You have to keep this secret because no one else is supposed to know about it. The most effective way of keeping something from spreading around is to keep it to yourself. People can’t betray a secret they don’t know.
4. Never drop any hints that you have a secret.
Stay away from saying “I know something you don’t know” in a singsong voice. A lot of people tend to go after forbidden fruit. They may attempt to pry the secret out of you, and it’s very likely that you can cave in.
5. Understand that if someone becomes aware of your secrets existence, stay away from “20 Questions.”
You still technically told if a person decodes a secret from a series of yes and nos. Answer any questions that people ask calmly, revealing as little as you possibly can.
6. Never bring up the topic of or involving the secret if you can help it.
If you have no choice but to discuss something involving it, graze the surface in conversation so as not to look evasive or suspicious. Then gracefully change the subject. Keep your head high and confident like you don’t know anything.
7. Remain defensive. Just calmly refuse to tell the secret.
Some people will respect this, but others may bug you further. Stand your ground if this is the case. Don’t let anything slip and don’t back down.
if necessary, but keep it as a last resort. Lies can complicate things and cause a lot of trouble in the future. However, it can be very effective, especially if you would go through any lengths to keep this secret under wraps. Or, tell everyone you know, but pretend you are kidding.
9. Tell a stuffed animal the secret.
It’s not exactly telling!
10. Say the secret over and over again to yourself.
This might do the trick!
11. Change the topic when the topic is what the secret is about.
12. Pretend you don’t know any secrets.
13. If the person is unreliable, try not to go near them without obviously avoiding them.
14. If it is an embarrassing topic, in your mind’s eye play it over and over again and “edit, cut and clip” until it’s not embarrassing anymore.
This helped me.
15.Ask the person if there is someone you are allowed to tell.
If it’s your secret, you can tell your best friend.